Scott J. Oh is a Partner of Warren Law Group.
Scott is a seasoned transactional & litigation attorney, as well as business consultant, with over 25 years of experience representing various companies in complex business transactions, federal, state & local tax services, tax audit defense, corporate law and governance, private capital formation, commercial and residential real estate transactions, SEC compliance services, corporate/trade finance and debt restructuring. As a litigator, Scott has represented various clients in complex business and commercial litigation, partnership disputes, consumer finance litigation, foreclosure litigation/defense, real estate litigation, and probate & trust litigation.
Scott also provides paymaster/escrow agent services to various domestic and international clients and financial institutions in transactions involving commodities, PPE, real estate, and digital assets/cryptocurrency, Scott also serves high net worth individuals and families in the areas of wealth and estate planning, asset protection, trust and probate administration. Over his career, Scott has served a wide variety of clientele: Fortune 500 companies, large privately held domestic and international companies, successful entrepreneurs, private family offices, and small business owners and their families.
In the early days of his legal career, Scott served as Asst. Attorney General for the State of Illinois enforcing various state regulations such as wage and labor laws, tax laws, consumer protection statutes, and civil rights. After public service, Scott further developed his legal skills in the private sector at large firms such as Deloitte, LLP (tax services) and Gardner, Carton and Douglas (now Fraeger, Drinker, Biddle and Reath LP).
Thereafter, Scott decided to start his own practice offering his legal services and expertise to both the Chicago area and international business community to which he remains committed to today. Also, in 2006, he formed a business consulting firm focused on assisting businesses achieve optimal operating efficiencies and sustainability by designing and implementing debt restructuring and re-capitalization strategies, as well as providing for increased opportunities for capital access and formation.
Private Placement/Private Capital Transactions
Over the years, Scott developed a global network of highly esteemed professionals in investment banking, corporate finance, law, wealth management, as well as various government leaders. His clients often benefit from his relationships by engaging new business opportunities in various industries, private capital transaction opportunities, and forging new strategic business relationships.
To this end, Scott often advises and facilitates his clients in identifying, analyzing, and structuring various business opportunities, e.g., private placement opportunities, joint ventures, and other private capital transactions, conventional/unconventional asset-based credit facilities, credit enhancements, and corporate debt transactions.
JD, Business Associations; Northwestern University School of Law
BSBA, Accounting, University of Illinois, Chicago
Bar Admissions & Memberships
State of Illinois
Representative Matters Include:
- Design and implement debt restructuring strategies, corporate finance, asset securitization, and re-capitalization strategies for various companies, from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
- Structure and implement corporate entity planning, offshore planning, tax and asset protection planning for entrepreneurs, various businesses, and private equity clients.
- Designed and implemented strategic federal and state tax planning for various mid-size businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
- Prepared a comprehensive multi-state state and local tax/employee benefit tax manual for a global insurance company.
- Designed and implemented legal structure for a private foundation, which, at the time was the largest private foundation in Illinois that owned and operated a world renown university and hospital.
- Designed and implemented wealth and estate planning, trust and asset protection plans, and off-shore planning for high-net-worth families and private family offices.
- Represented various real estate investors and developers in various commercial real estate transactions from development/construction, acquisition and sales, and real estate litigation.
- Represented multi-million-dollar probate estates in various asset sale/liquidation matters from commercial real estate, farmland, and other asset classes.
- Represented numerous sellers and buyers engaged in various buy/sell transactions for commercial real estate, businesses, and franchises.
- Represented various businesses, from small business owners to Fortune 500 companies, in defense of state and federal tax audits and proceedings.
- Represented companies from small businesses to Fortune 500 Companies in business and commercial litigation matters ranging from breach of contract to business torts (breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, tortious interference, shareholder derivative actions).
- Represented probate administrators and high-net worth families in various probate and trust litigation matters involving will contests, breach of fiduciary duty/self-dealing/fraud actions.
- Represented national manufacturer in various civil litigation matters, i.e., breach of contract, tortious interference, etc.
- Obtained favorable multi-million-dollar settlements in consumer actions against several of the largest U.S. banks/financial institutions for violations of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Truth in Lending Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and the Illinois Consumer Fraud & Deceptive Business Practices Act.
- Represented several hundred consumer/homeowners in defense of foreclosure actions and assisted the majority in successfully obtaining loan modifications, short sales, or other loss mitigation alternatives.
- Represented homeowners against several of the largest U.S. banks/financial institutions in real estate title litigation matters resulting in favorable settlements.
- As Asst. Attorney General for the State of Illinois, represented various state agencies in Title VII actions which concluded in dismissals.
- As Asst. Attorney General for the State of Illinois, prosecuted violators of the state wage laws, labor laws, and consumer fraud.
- Escrow attorney for cryptocurrency/fiat sale transactions for a licensed and regulated Canadian Institutional Financial Exchange and liquidity provider with operations in the U.S. and Europe (MSB licensed under FINTRAC, Canada).
- Escrow Attorney for cryptocurrency/fiat transactions for a FINCEN licensed and regulated U.S. financial institution MSB for cryptocurrency with a global private cryptocurrency exchange supported by a European Central Bank.
- Escrow Attorney for cryptocurrency/fiat transactions for a top tier trade finance group with operations at Barclays Bank and HSBC Bank in London, UK.