Jennifer Bergenfeld is a corporate and securities attorney specializing in commercial transactions, contract negotiations, regulatory/governance advisory, securities offerings and funds, regulatory compliance, and real estate investments. Jennifer has spent over two decades working for Wall Street firms and fund complexes, including roles as general counsel and chief legal officer.
In addition to her law practice, Jennifer received her MBA from New York University. She was a professor of business law and ethics at NYU Stern School of Business, followed by tenure managing a corporate grant or early-stage social impact companies.
Jennifer has advised on mergers and acquisitions, ventures, and business development strategies. She has also been involved in guiding companies on financing alternatives, VC/PE board governance, and educating and supporting board members and structures.
Jennifer serves on several corporate advisory and non-profit boards. Additionally, she is a legal advisor to PE/VC incubators and supporter of social entrepreneurship.
Jennifer received her JD from Yeshiva University, Cardozo School of Law, and is admitted to the bar of the State of New York.
JD, Yeshiva University, Cardozo School of Law
Bar Admissions & Memberships
State of New York
Representative Matters Include:
- Served as interim general counsel to financial firms undergoing change
- Launched 40 Act/UCITS mutual funds and private funds and established investment adviser and broker-dealer distribution affiliates.
- Legal lead for strategic ventures, leveraged finance & outsourcing/offshoring
- Defended clients against SEC/FINRA/DOL/state governmental authority investigations and settlements
- Created corporate entities for corporate finance/brokerage/advisory, prepared regulatory documents, retention of licenses/registration
- Legal counsel to startup and emerging fintechs, private equity/venture capital firms, investment advisory and fund ventures with PPMs and entity formation
- Instituted governance, incorporation documentation reviews, board management and corporate secretarial duties
- Managed contract system rollout, procurement negotiation protocol & vendor due diligence oversight
- Advised on cross border acquisitions, spinoffs, and JVs
- Oversaw post government enforcement actions, coordinate remediation, review IA/BD compliance program and trained compliance staff